The place to come to wag more and bark less...


Monday, August 14, 2017

Upcoming Book Release- The Disabled Solo Traveler

In Spring, 2018) I will release my new book and my travels as a disabled man, traveling with only my service dog, Sophie. There are many pitfalls and drawbacks to solo travel for anyone, but those faced by a disabled person may carry more unique complications, and even outright physical and financial dangers that are avoidable with only a little forethought.

Despite the situations I've faced, however, I emphasize that this book is not meant to dissuade you, the would-be traveler, but to enlighten you.

Here I digress into an awful experience of my own:

I have firsthand experience, either personally or anecdotally through fellow travelers willing to share their experiences and broaden the breadth of wisdom from which I can draw when out on the road with Sophie.

That said, the first tip is one I'll give you now: Fellow travelers look out for each other to the extent it makes everyone safer. Knowing you're not alone out there, that someone will offer help if need be can be a great source of comfort.

This, coming from a highly introverted solo traveler who considers being thought of as an Island Unto Himself among the greatest of compliments says a lot.

I feel particularly grateful to those I've helped throughout my travels in all ways, large and small. Likewise, I'm thankful to those who've helped me, for we all have come out wiser for it.

Consider the example Sophie and I set just by arriving at new destinatiois or returning to old, favorite ones together.

Few question the ability of a one-armed guy like me to navigate a 30 foot rig onto a beach or into a narrow campsite, then set up and be ready to get to the real business at hand-enjoying the destination with my best friend. Of course I can, and of course you can, too.

Sophie and I work as a team, and much of what we do is accomplished with hand signals, tone of voice and, most important, sensitivity toward each other's feelings.

This includes our reactions to people.

While I get busy taking care of the essentials, Sophie is free to sniff about and do her thing, establishing a friendly but clear perimeter that only "friendlies" will confidently risk crossing.

Though neither of us are spring chickens any longer, when we work together we're always a greater constructive force than when alone.

I've written this how-to guide for disabled travelers who are planning to go it alone, for there is precious little to be found elsewhere on the subject.

Much of the content I wish I'd had in hand before learning some lessons the hard way or, what's sometimes worse, the long way.

Moreover, the book will also address some of the many concerns of loved ones left behind, unable or unwilling to join the solo traveler.

This content will provide them a level of comfort in knowing that their loved one is already informed of the dangers and has options in the event of an emergency.

This does not imply you must travel in a state of undue concern about what dangers might be lurking around the next bend or even with a chronic sense of distrust of those around you.

Often, just using your best judgement is sufficient in sizing up any situation. To the extent that you can, be optimistic while still pragmatic, and trust in your judgement. And, by all means, don't hesitate to pat yourself on the back for having the confidence to travel in the first place.

My upcoming narrative will describe ways to avoid sticky situations while en route from Point A to Point B, and how to handle them if they do. My hope is that, in seeing it once before, in print, you are less likely to feel waylaid by them.

I believe sharing my experiences are not only cathartic, but a responsibility as well. I look forward to sharing mine with you.


Richard Moreno and Sophie 🐾, the most loving teammate and travel companion through life I could ever hope to have. Ft. Collins, Colorado, July 2017.





 



No comments:

Post a Comment