The place to come to wag more and bark less...


Sunday, December 31, 2017

This Could Be You In A Heartbeat

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/homelessness/sd-me-homeless-lawsuit-20170920-story,amp.html

I realize there’s a lot to take in from the above article, but living in an RV carries with it many of the same liabilities that homeowners and renters in buildings have.

Namely, if you can’t pay your rent/mortgage/lease, etc. you will be in violation of the terms of your agreement and put out.

For all intents and purposes, Sophie and I are renters. We rent space, called a “lot” at the privately owned campground where we live. 

The rent I pay, combined with my already-meager living expenses consumes every penny I have coming in.

I’ve no savings and, on the bright side, my debt level isn’t increasing; it’s like the fiduciary version of what I tell Sophie when she’s exercising her prey-driven side: “If you can catch it, you can eat it.” 

In other words, when we (meaning me) must decide between paying for extra propane-or using an electric heater when our propane heater was recently broken-or food or toiletries or any other ancillary need, the item necessary for survival prevails.

Most people don’t get this, as if renting an apartment or paying a mortgage is somehow better, or less risky. Not so.

Homeowners often have the option of taking out a loan against their home, depending on how much they’ve already paid into it, to cover/help cover the cost of a catastrophic loss.

A medical emergency, job loss, separation or divorce, and more are such examples of losses that may not be readily recoverable.

While I own my own home outright, I must still cover the cost of gas, insurance, and other related costs.

Since I budget down to the penny each month, any inopportune cost becomes catastrophic: Mechanical concerns, e.g. engine, transmission, tires, etc., appliances such as the refrigerator I just needed to replace, and more.

Thankfully, I had a neighbor who had bought a small electric fridge for her mother, who’d planned to outfit her elderly mother’s house with it. Her mother went into a nursing home instead, and I gratefully bought it from her, paying a little bit each month for it. 

The fridge only cost $80 but it classified as a catastrophic expense Sophie and I were lucky to survive. That, in itself, is a prime example of how we must forego one thing in order to pay for another.

But we, like most traditional, brick-and-mortar households I believe, are operating at a deficit. It’s just that Sophie and I are not using credit to pay for unexpected expenses. 

The end result is the same, no matter which lifestyle we live: it all must be paid for in the end. 

While our economy, yours and mine (no matter who you are) differs, everything is to scale: What I classify as a major expense may be trivial to another person, or perhaps not.

But I know my economic scale is about as low as I can imagine it going. My personal hygiene- shaving, washing my face and upper body, haircuts and more-I do as infrequently as possible.

In fact, I purposely schedule appointments one week apart so that I can both be sure to have a reason to clean myself up a little while also avoid falling into a rut for being unable to do it more.

As a daily, all-weather bicycle commuter to work in my able-bodied years, I’m no stranger to quick, all-body clean-ups in front of the sink. It’s always been a fact of life for me, and I wouldn’t change a thing.

However, I’m not in the restroom at work, and I really miss my shower, and my laundry machine and some other things we consider “creature comforts.”

The only creature comfort I need is the only one I need-Sophie, my service dog. She doesn’t mind if I don’t shower every day or even every week, which is good. In anticipation of colder weather and higher propane costs, I’ve severely cut back on running the water heater. 

You get the idea. Like homeowners and renters and even people in cardboard boxes or tents out on the sidewalk, I sacrifice what I can, where I can in order to live another day.

If the property owners here raise the lot rent by more than ten dollars, I’ll have to find another place to go. While I’ll have a home, I’ll have no place to park it and will, in effect, become a mobile fugitive, always looking for the next place to park so I can grab some shuteye.

All I want to emphasize is that, like anyone, I’ve got a better bead on my cost of living than anyone’s and, just as you likely know of your own budget, what will sink us for a while, and what will put us under for good.

Living in an RV is not a long-term solution, I’ve read many times over. But life itself isn’t permanent and many of us have learned to do a great deal more than we ever thought we could with a great deal less than we may ever thought we’d have.

The single greatest asset we have are the ones we love. Though they haven’t a dollar value they are priceless just the same. Anyone who doesn’t understand this as the true measure of wealth will likely never understand what “value” truly means beyond that of a supermarket coupon.

“For better or for worse” are words best recognized as part of our traditional marriage vows, and they’re spoken for a good reason. Life’s an adventure, which leaves a great deal of wiggle room for interpretation.

Though we don’t yet know what will constitute an “adventure” as newlyweds, we most certainly know one when we see it. 

That said, I’m grateful that the life I share with Sophie in our RV is an adventure. And, like the roads we’ve driven and have yet to drive, I’m hoping the speed bumps will be few.

However, for better or for worse, we’ll avoid as many of them as possible and the rest we’ll navigate as best we can. It’s a metaphor for life, and the literal measure of ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment